Join our Leader in Training (LIT) program! Apprentice in outdoor leadership skills with Trackers Earth. Begin with a week or more of leadership experience at our overnight camp. Work with expert outdoor educators to develop your own connection to nature and community through wilderness skills.
Your registration fee is all-inclusive, covering both the Training Week and Field Weeks.
Please ONLY REGISTER for field weeks if you have already registered and been confirmed for your overnight training week! Both training weeks are currently FULL, but you may waitlist using the "overnight" tab below.
Incredible SkillsYour training immerses you in the outdoor and leadership skills of Trackers Earth. The Leader in Training program gives you opportunity to explore one or more of our Four Guilds:
Wilders Guild Wild plants, farm craft, and restoration gardening
Mariners Guild Fishing, water, and mariners skills
Artisans Guild Storytelling and leadership
Personal & Professional Development
We explore how our connection to nature benefits a sustainable and healthy livelihood. At the end of the week, your instructor provides you a written evaluation of your time, honoring your experience and helping you find places to grow.
Our Leader in Training program mentors students through personal and professional development. The practical aspect of the program addresses what potential schools and employers seek, and cultivates the LIT's communication and interview skills.
Summer Camps 2018 Bay Area
Grade 8-12 Leaders in Training (LIT) You begin with one week of overnight leadership training, where you will meet new friends, learn outdoor skills, and explore a leadership role within the Trackers Earth community and your community. You finish the program with two Field Weeks, in which you guide younger campers in our day camp programs. These day camp field weeks may be completed in our Berkeley or Walnut Creek locations.
Optional Field Training
After the Leader in Training program of your choice, you can join us for optional weeks of Field Training in our day camps. During this time you put your leadership skills into practice. Top educators mentor you, while you guide younger campers in the outdoors. Important points:
- Multiple Weeks You can spread the optional Field Training throughout the summer. We recommend 1 - 3 weeks, though more is possible after a conversation with us.
- Schedule Soon Field training is on a first come, first serve basis. If you're already signed up for a training week, you may choose your field weeks below. Only register for weeks that are after your overnight training week.
- Field Evaluations Like the Leader in Training camp, every week of field training includes an evaluation written and delivered by the Lead Educator mentoring you.
- Please Note Field Training commitments are optional and not required, nor essential, to join a Leader in Training overnight week.
Drop-off & Pick-up Time
Training Weeks: We depart on our Trackers buses at 7:30 AM Monday morning from our Berkeley location. We return the following Friday by 3 PM.
Field Weeks: LITs should arrive by 8:30 AM and plan to depart at 4 PM, so they may assist with managing students during check-in and check-out.
Orientation Week Locations Our LIT training week locations will be Camp Herms. Pick-up and Drop-off will still occur at the Trackers HQ at 3049 Adeline St., Berkeley.
Day Camp Field Week Locations
- Berkeley 3049 Adeline St. The Guild Hall is conveniently located across the street from the Ashby BART station.
- West Berkeley - Berkeley Marina, Shorebird Park
- Oakland - McCrea Memorial Park
- Walnut Creek Rudgear Park