The Mariners Guild is a community of anglers, kayakers, foragers, and survival experts. They are wise in the ways of the water, studying the fish, plants, and currents. Join them and begin your study of the ways of the Mariner.
A Mariners Apprenticeship
Through a combination of fishing our local waters, learning about the tides and weather patterns, and kayaking, apprentices will become one with the water. The values and respect for our oceans and rivers that apprentices learn will stay with them for their entire lives.
Activities may include but are not limited to:
- Students learn how to fish using several different styles and techniques including fly fishing and conventional rod-and-reel.
- Finding our own foods and vegetables to eat is very rewarding! We will teach sustainable harvesting techniques. The freshest mussels, clams, limpets, crabs, kelp and several varieties of wild greens and berries make for memorable feasts.
- Learn basic techniques for launching, maneuvering and landing your craft. Advanced kayakers will also be able to fish and crab from their kayaks.
- Shoreside Survival
- Learn the basics of shelter, fire and water. Fire making will be a staple skill taught and practiced every weekend as we will need fire to cook, purify water, and stay warm. Potable water will always be available, however; we teach several methods to collect, filter, and purify water for drinking.
- Each weekend we will teach how to clean, cook, preserve, and process our catch. Whether it be fish, greens, shellfish, or wild berries, we will study the safest way to either cook it for immediate consumption, or preserve to eat at a later date.
How it Works
One weekend a month, apprentices train in the field at our epic outdoor locations. For students entering grades 5 and up, four of those weekends are overnight expeditions. Our younger apprentices, grade 1-4, meet for all single Saturdays.
- Overnight Weekends:
- Check-in between 4:30 and 5 PM on Friday and check-out at 3:00 PM on Sunday.
- Single Field Days:
- Check-in between 8:45 and 9 AM on Saturday, and check-out at 4:30 PM that same day.
TuitionTuition is divided into monthly payments after a $75 deposit, or may be paid in full by August 15 for a 5% discount.
Grade 1 - 4 (Single Days Only): Full program tuition is $1,400. Includes: 8 field day Saturdays, Graduation family field day, optional family holiday party, Trackers hoodie, access to our weekly family Skills Night, and Mora knife.
Grade 5 - 12 (Includes 4 Weekend Overnight Trips): Full program tuition is $1,950. Includes: 4 Friday - Sunday overnight weekends, 4 field day Saturdays, Graduation family field day, optional family holiday party, Trackers hoodie, access to our weekly family Skills Night, and Mora knife.