The Mariners Guild is a community of anglers, kayakers, foragers, and survival experts. They are wise in the ways of the water, studying the fish, plants, and currents. Join them and begin your study of the ways of the Mariner.
A Mariners Apprenticeship
Through a combination of fishing our local waters, learning about the tides and weather patterns, and kayaking, apprentices will become one with the water. The values and respect for our oceans and rivers that apprentices learn will stay with them for their entire lives.
Activities may include but are not limited to:
- Students learn how to fish using several different styles and techniques.
- Finding our own foods and vegetables to eat is very rewarding! We will teach sustainable harvesting techniques. The freshest mussels, clams, limpets, crabs, kelp and several varieties of wild greens and berries make for memorable feasts.
- Overnight Students Only Learn basic techniques for launching, maneuvering and landing your craft.
- Shoreside Survival & Naturalist Skills
- Learn the basics of shelter, fire and water in shoreline situations, as well as how to identify common birds and animals in coastal areas.
How it Works
1 weekend a month, September - May. At our Monthly Training Weekends, Apprentices join a team of friends learning from expert mentors. See below for dates and available schedules.
Single Saturdays - 1 Saturday per month; 8:45 AM - 4:00 PM. Available for Grades 1-8. The most flexibility for families.
Overnight Weekends - 1 orientation Saturday and 8 Friday-Sunday overnight trips. Available for Grades 6-12. Our most immersive experience.
- Graduation Day community picnic - Saturday May 30
- Holiday Family Party - Saturday December 14
- Additional optional Community & Family Events - Dates Vary
- Monthly community skills night - 2nd Wednesday of the month, September - May
- Mora stainless steel knife
TuitionTuition is divided into 9 equal monthly payments after a $75 deposit, or may be paid in full in mid-August for a 5% discount.
Single Saturdays: Tuition is $1,495 ($166 per month)
Overnight Weekends- 1 Saturday and 8 Weekend Overnight Trips: Tuition is $2,475 ($275 per month)