Upper Elementary (grades 4-6) extends on the foundations built in the earlier grades. Students are growing in their ability to tackle abstract concepts and more complex tasks. Their understanding of the world around them likewise is growing in complexity, and their knowledge of local ecosystems become deeper.
Elementary grades develop:
- A continued familiarity with local plants, and a more sophisticated undertanding of their life cycles
- Ability to identify rare mammal tracks in our region, and a growing understanding of how the interact with local plant communities
- The ability to work independently on a substantial project for progressively longer periods of time
- Self-planning for longer-term or more complicated research projects
- Increasing capacity in literacy and longer compositions
- Comfort, resiliency, and competency out of doors in all conditions