Lower Elementary (grades 1-3) build the foundations of learning. Students benefit from powerful hands-on activities and concrete experiences. They begin to develop a deeper understanding of the world around them. Our outdoor curriculum builds upon this enthusiasm by providing a diverse and profound educational environment in the outdoors.
Lower Elementary grades develop:
- A deepening knowledge of local plants and their practical uses
- Ability to identify less common mammal tracks in our region
- Ability to identify common local birds by sight and sound
- The ability to work independently on a project for progressively longer periods of time
- Familiarity with age-appropriate texts and reading materials
- Ability to compose short stories and journal entries with increasingly complex sentence structure, spelling, and grammar